To some, the question “Why would you want a wand?” is very easy to respond to, especially if you’re a Pagan or a Harry Potter fan. You want one, or you need one, end of story. For others, who may have come across this site by accident and can’t see why someone would want to get a decorated stick, this page might help.
Here are some reasons you would want a wand … Say, if you’re:
- A Pagan/Neo-Pagan/Wiccan: a wand is a standard tool, just like a cup or an Athamé.
- LARPing a spellcaster: look the part while doing live action roleplaying in the woods.
- A fan: several franchises of witch and/or wizard style books, films or TV shows use wands to cast their magic, most notably Harry Potter.
- A dollmaker: you can make little witch or wizard dolls, for instance.
- Dressing up for Halloween: a golden opportunity to bring authenticity to a costume!
- Conducting an orchestra: you might call it a baton, I call it a thin wand.
There are also some more creative exampes of when and where you could find a wand most useful:
- Business meetings: Death by Power Point no more! Nothing would spice up a boring meeting like pointing at slides with a wand instead of a laser pointer.
- Teachers/Lecturers: Use a wand instead of a pointer on the overhead or whiteboard.
- Keeps cats amused – tie a piece of string and some scrunched up paper to it, or some feathers or something, and you’ve made yourself a wand wand toy! (Just be very careful when using it, obviously.)
Things you really shouldn’t do with one of my wands, so please don’t:
- Play fetch with a dog (there’s a risk of splinters forming when they bite on it, plus it could break and hurt them)
- Give it to children (they might hurt themselves in a variety of ways)